There was a permanent exhibition on approximately 200 m2 of the Museum of Special Education in Levoča. The exhibition was originally dedicated to the History of Special Education in Slovakia from ancient history up to the present. It was installed in 1989.
PhDr. Viktor Jasaň, the then director of the Spiš Museum, was the creator of the screenplay of the original permanent exhibition. It was later complemented by prof. PhDr. Stefan Vasek, CSc. from the Faculty of Education, Comenius University in Bratislava. The artistic and architectural design was the work of acad. painter Róbert Haček and Ing. Eduard Ball.
The individual rooms of the original exhibition were opened until December 31, 2015.
The exhibition offered:
A statistical overview of the first institutions for people with disabilities in Slovakia (entrance room)
History of people with disabilities from ancient history to 1918 (2nd room)
Overview of institutions and schools for the visually impaired (3rd room)
History of institutions and special schools for people with hearing, physical and mental disabilities (4th room)
Unfortunately, in terms of content, language, and graphics, it did not meet the needs of the modern visitor.
Therefore, we proceeded to its modernization with the consent of the founder, the Slovak Centre of Scientific and Technical Information in Bratislava in mid-2014. The reconstruction was divided into several stages – preparation of the architectural design, approval process by the Regional Monuments Board in Prešov and Levoča. These stages were followed by building modifications to the interior, production, and assembly of custom interior elements, selection and professional processing of collection items – exhibits intended for the new exhibition.
The museum was closed to the public throughout the year 2016 until April 2017.